Search

2007-03-14

Movie Night - 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother, Ep. 2

Hey, great, I can get some movies and shows back on the blog again. I'm still smarting from Anne's removal from YouTube, and expecting my eventual execution after I've uploaded enough anime shows. If and when that happens, I'll just jump ship to DailyMotion...until that site gets bought out by some big corporate entity. Rinse, repeat.

Anyways, I uploaded episode 2 of 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother some time ago, so we should sit down and watch it. The first episode was posted here a long time ago, so be sure to get caught up. That's the crucial episode that establishes the plot and direction for the series, its emotional depth and intensity, and the first shades of Marco's James Dean mood swings.

The next few episodes focus on Marco's daily life, and rank as the most purely neorealist in the Takahata canon. Of course, this is all part of the master plan; getting us used to the normal daily rhythm, steadily building the tension. The payoffs will come and they will be devestating. If you were bowled over by the intensity of Grave of the Fireflies, than Marco is the show for you.

So here's episode 2. I'll try to get the rest of the fansubbed episodes uploaded. Be warned, though - that only goes up to episode 7. After that, you'll need to get the Taiwan DVD set. Big freakin' deal. You'll only pay thirty bucks for yours - I got slapped for a hundred clams. I don't think the postcards are that valuable. Whatever.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great to see these things from Ghibli that is just as good or even better that their modern stuff. very good site, easily the best ghibli site i've seen so far

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover